The University System of Georgia (USG) prohibits all weapons on property owned or leased by the USG and its institutions, except as specifically provided herein or as provided in federal or state law.
Prohibited weapons do not include sporting equipment possessed for legitimate use in formal or informal athletic or exercise activities.
Law enforcement officers, active military personnel, and other similar personnel may possess weapons as authorized by federal or state law to do so.
Any person who is 18 years of age or older or currently enrolled in classes in a USG institution may possess an electroshock weapon on the campus(es) of that institution but may only make use of such electroshock weapon in defense of self or others.
Weapons carry license holders may possess weapons while under the license holder’s physical control in a motor vehicle, in a locked compartment in a motor vehicle, in a locked container in a motor vehicle, or in a locked firearms rack in a motor vehicle.
A weapons carry license holder may carry a handgun in any building or on any real property owned or leased by the USG and its institutions; provided, however, that such exception shall:
- Not apply to buildings or property used for athletic sporting events or student housing, including, but not limited to, fraternity or sorority houses;
- Not apply to any preschool or childcare space located within such buildings or real property;
- Not apply to any room or space being used for classes related to college and career academy or other specialized school as provided for under Georgia Code Section 20-4-37;
- Not apply to any room or space being used for classes in which high school students are enrolled through a dual enrollment program, including, but not limited to, classes related to the “Move on When Ready Act” as provided for under Georgia Code Section 20-2-161.3;
- Not apply to faculty, staff or administrative offices or rooms where disciplinary proceedings are conducted;
- Only apply to the carrying of handguns which a licensee is licensed to carry pursuant to subsection (e) of Georgia Code Section 16-11-126 and pursuant to Georgia Code Section 16-11-129; and
- Only apply to the carrying of handguns which are concealed.
- means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any instrument designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, knuckles, whether made of metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disk, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any instrument of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Georgia Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the faculty member.
- means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term “handgun” shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.
- “Electroshock weapon”
- means a stun gun or taser or similar commercially available device that is powered by electrical charging units and designed exclusively to be capable of incapacitating a person by electrical charge.
- means carried in such a fashion that does not actively solicit the attention of others and is not prominently, openly, and intentionally displayed except for purposes of defense of self or others. Such term shall include, but not be limited to, carrying on one’s person while such handgun is substantially, but not necessarily completely, covered by an article of clothing which is worn by such person, carrying within a bag of a nondescript nature which is being carried about by such person, or carrying in any other fashion as to not be clearly discernible by the passive observation of others.
- “Preschool or childcare space”
- means any room or continuous collection of rooms or any enclosed outdoor facilities which are separated from other spaces by an electronic mechanism or human-staffed point of controlled access and designated for the provision of preschool or childcare services, including, but not limited to, preschool or childcare services licensed or regulated under Article 1 of Chapter 1 of Title 20 of the Code of Georgia.
For more information, please click here.